ZIMZYGIRL VISITS MBARE MUSIKA | ZIMZYGIRL DIARIES


 Just a disclaimer.
In no way, shape or form, will I ever want to showcase ekhaya in a negative way. 
This includes taking photographs, writing or video recording in public places to publish on my blog. I'm using this as my platform to showcase many beautiful people and hidden gems in Zimbabwe. Of course I do want to be realistic and real with you all, not everywhere is perfect.
Therefore, I understand not everyone has the same way of thinking nor interpreting what others do differently. 
I'm only saying this because, I was unfortunate to get called and explain what I was doing with a few photos having to be deleted.
I still have my best ones present and I won't let this mishap take away my positive experiences in Zimbabwe.


So lets begin shall we.

Date 26/10/2017 Time: 06:00 Feelings- excited
Action: Waking up Temperature: 19 degrees celsius

And so my day began at the crack of dawn. 

My grandma advised me, the best time to go to Mbare Musika was early in the morning.  I'd gathered over the years, this was a busy place. I was going to be witnessing the action of art through my ears and eyes. Defiantly something that would be worth writing home about.

Another thing to note was the outfit choice. For those of you that don't know, Mbare, is pretty dusty. It more visible when you get deeper into the market with most of the ground being sand. I didn't want to wear trainers, they were too new for this adventure, so I stuck to simple sandals and my favourite maxi dress. 

By 06:45 and the sun at our side, we made our way towards the other end of the village. So not towards town. 
I was certain we were making our way to the combie rank but this wasn't the case today.
My grandma always threw in surprises, so here she was with her next one. Raising her hand towards the road, the car stopped and waited for us to jump in.
All we needed to say was Mbare, and off we went.
I was a little sceptical at first and you can never be so sure sometimes. But I had learnt something new.

In some residential areas, you'll find other ways of getting to your destination besides walking, combie or you driving yourself there.
I guess this happens mostly during the morning time when people are heading to work, school or town. Almost like looking at your website statistic and analysing when is the best time to post.

You'll find a car will be driving along the roads, hooting past every street, seeing if anyone needs a lift. I guess it's similar to the taxi business but different in the sense that the driver actually waits till the car is snug and ready to commence on the journey. In terms of payment, it was $1 for the both of us.


The roads certainly changed as we got to Mbare. It was as expected, busy and and full of busses ready to hit the road towards Bulawayo.

Taxi's and cars were waiting on the side, and you could tell there was competition to see who could get a passenger. 

I had to take out my camera to capture the moments but my eyes focused more on what was in front of me. The market was already moving at a fast pace. I most certainly stuck out like a footprint in a fresh blanket of snow. I couldn't help but have my head turning different angles. 


Without realising it, the smell hit memory lane. The smell of dried fish. Small fish. You know what I'm talking about.
Matemba or the brand Kapenta. Other names do exist.

Granny picked up one and decided to eat it. I won't lie, I just stood there shaking my head. 'No, theses one taste better, taste for yourself Stacey'. At that moment I thought, if you can't beat them, join them. I had wondered if my days of craving for Matemba were still there. That almost crunchy dried but boneless fish had finally hit my taste buds. Another delicacy was the Mopane worms (I thought they were caterpillars). I'll let you in on a secret, I have actually eaten one before but never again, for one, it taste so bitter and very crispy if you have them deep fried. Lastly two, I'm just not used to it being food.

Moving forward

I saw people making bags, muchiros (the dust broom) and sacks from scratch. Most of them were deep in concentration, sat in the middle of a stack full of straw.


It was so colourful once we reached the vegetable and fruit scene. The reds, the greens, oranges and yellows presented a pallet, a pallet which everyone wanted to have a pick from. Every corner, there was someone coming up asking if we wanted $1 worth of tomatoes, cabbage (which were so big) and even live chickens.
I wish I'd mention to you about the chickens my granny bought for me as a welcome present. This is why she is full of surprises.



The onions, potatoes and beans had its own section. I guess this place was bigger than a football pitch.

I want to thank the guy we had gotten help from to carry our fruit and vegetable sack. Yes, it was actually a sack but, if you're there to shop then the sacks were the best option, light but strong with a large depth. 

Did I manage to sell it to you?

That concludes my blog post of Mbare. Hope the pictures tell more of the story. 

Next time I head to Mbare, I defiantly want to check out the Fabric stalls.

Into the car and off we went back to the house.
The rest of my day was just me baking under the sun.
Need I say more.


What is the strangest thing you eaten?

Photography
@zimzygirl 

Location
Bare Musika~ Harare

Camera
Nikon 3200

Follow me
Instagram ~ @zimzygirl
Twitter~@zimygirl
YouTube ~ Stacey Potts


Have a wonderful blessed day everyone. I hope you enjoyed getting to know a little and seeing Zimbabwe from my perspective so far. There are more Zimzygirl Diaries Posts and pictures to come during this week so be sure to visit my blog everyday.
~zimzygirl~
xXx

3 comments

  1. Zimbabwe is soo beautiful I might consider going to Zimbabwe my self to see it for myself 😃.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Luke, thank you for commenting. Hope you visit it soon.

      Delete
  2. The hustle and bustle of Mbare musika was captured well here. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

© DISCOVERING ZIMZYGIRL

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig